There are two free school meal schemes:
- income related free school meals
- universal free school meals
Income related free school meals
Income related free school meals can be given to your child in any year at school.
This includes nursery children if they attend before and after lunch at a local authority nursery school or nursery class.
If you get any of the benefits below, you can claim free school meals.
- Income Support
- Jobseeker’s Allowance Income based
- Employment Support Allowance Income related
- Support under the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- Guaranteed Pension Credit
- Child Tax Credit – as long as your letter shows you have an income of less than £16,190 and do not get Working Tax Credit
- Universal Credit – your earned income must be less than £7,400 a year
If your child gets free school meals they may continue until March 2022.
When your child gets free school meals, your school will also benefit with additional funding to use in the school.
Link to apply for Free School Meals