Welcome to St Matthew's Forest School
What is Forest School?
“Forest School is an inspirational process that offers ALL learners regular opportunities to achieve, develop confidence and self-esteem, through hands-on learning experiences in a woodland or natural environment with trees. Forest School is a specialised learning approach that sits within and compliments the wider context of outdoor and woodland education.” Forest school has 6 key principles:-
1. Forest School is a long- term process with frequent and regular sessions rather than a one-off visit. Planning, adaption, observations and reviewing are integral elements of Forest School.
2. Forest School takes place in a woodland or natural wooded environment to support the development of a relationship between the learner and the natural world.
3. Forest School aims to promote the holistic development of all those involved, fostering resilient, confident, independent and creative learners
4. Forest School offers learners the opportunity to take supported risks appropriate to the environment and to themselves.
5. Forest School is run by qualified Forest School Practitioners who continuously maintain and develop their professional practice.
6. Forest School uses a range of learner-centred processes to create a community for development and learning.
What we get up to in Forest School...
We build dens
We cook on the open fire
We are creative with our natural environment
We cook up lovely treats in the kitchen
We use tools
We do a lot of digging
We have fun
We are so pleased to be back in school. Y1 are enjoying being out in the forest having fun outdoors.
Y1 are continuing to enjoy the forest school, we have continued the guttering challenge and have been on a minibeast hunt.
Y1 continue to have fun in the forest school, we've been using the hand saw to saw up branches.
Y1 enjoyed toasting marshmallows on an open fire...........yum yum
Arthur having fun with Y1